A practical and interactive session designed to raise awareness of occupational and workplace hazards. Students are reminded of their responsibility under Health and Safety legislation to work safely and ensure that their work activities do not put themselves or others at risk.
- Employer and Employee responsibilities under the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 and health and social care legislation
- Identifying workplace Hazards and Risk Assessment
- Accidents- Definition and importance of reporting, however trivial
- Environmental hazards including- Slips, trips and falls. Window Safety. Water Safety. Electricity, Gas etc.
- Occupational Health- including the handling of hazardous substances and Infection Control. (COSHH). Manual handling reminders.
- Equipment Safety.
- Practical Hazard spotting exercise including an opportunity to design a “safe system” of working to reduce associated risks.
Duration: 1.5 – 3hrs